Monday, June 27, 2011

Window Box Planters - Maximum Exposure at Minimum Expense


Back in my twenties, I rented a small quaint house in San Francisco, just a short distance to the beach. The house was plain and simple with a small front yard. There was only a beautiful rose colored daisy like perennial and a wealth of cineraria growing there. There was a porch, three windows facing the street and three rundown window box planters. There was nothing inside them, not even some dirt, which surprised me. I found the house charismatic. Having never enjoyed the pleasure of a garden, as I had just moved for a third story Victorian apartment, I was very pleased with the possibilities of the diamond in the rough. All it really needed is time, effort and lots of love in order to come alive.

My first improvement was filling up those window box planters. Even though, my budget matched the appearance of the house, I did want the best results for my money. Naturally, I began with the window boxes, by adding some potting soil and a few flowers. Now I was in business.

Daffodils and tulips first sprang to mind, since it was early winter when I took up residency. These flowers were easily planted to add lots of spring colors to enjoy in a few months. Visualizing a burst of sunshiny colors surrounding the front door was a cinch. I quickly set my mind for planning the summer flowers for my window box planters, shortly after I planted my bulbs. However, the San Francisco beach area is fairly restrictive when considering various plant life. What with fog, fog and even more fog, the climate was considerably more depressing when you consider that everything about the house was gray. Yes, gray walls, gray roof and even gray window planter boxes. Those before me, I decided had absolutely no imagination at all.

Magenta paint was my choice, and I painted the front door and trim and your guessed it, even the window boxes. It did look much better, even if I say so myself. The cineraria stood out very stunningly, as the exterior of the house livened up drastically.

I was thrilled beyond measure as the daffodils and tulips began surfacing and coming into bloom, yes, I even talked to them. I had already been planning for the summer and fall, the flowers I would plant in my amazing colored window box planter. When the time came, I delicately began to interplant begonias, magenta and purple fuchsias in between each of the bulbs and then chose some dark turquoise trailing lobelias for good measure. These new flowers were well underway, by the time summer took the bulbs. All these flowers thrived in such a moist and darkened environment. For even more color I chose a variegated coleus. My visitors found this as charming as I did, while they complimented its beautiful display of colors.

Eventually, fall became winter and pink, white and red cyclamens quickly replaced the summer flowers. I brought my begonias inside to wait out the winter in pots. However, ferns and spider plants began taking over the underside of the roof of the porch, as they hung from their hooks, so reminiscent of delightful ballroom belles. It is interestingly amazing how much difference a couple of four foot window box planters can give a house such wonderful curb appeal.

Window Box Planters [http://tophomeideas.com/window-box-planters.php] are a great way to make your home stand out from the crowd at Minimum Expense.. For more Home Ideas, please visit my site at Top Home Ideas [http://tophomeideas.com].

No comments:

Post a Comment